MP Real Photo Portfolio

Monday, May 9, 2011

Why to use RAW format

Since I bought my first DSLR I tried to use RAW format whenever it was possible. Recently the RAW format saved one of my photos.
  Yes RAW needs more space and the workflow is more complicated. But the harddrive space is cheaper every day and it is possible to configure import of the photos into the computer so, that it converts photos to JPGs automatically. Also some cameras can save photos in both formats simultaneously.
 Few days ago I was photographing a running race and batteries in flash died in the worst moment. I was closing the lid on the flash exactly, when a runner was approaching the finish line. As I changed the batteries the flash switched from "high speed sync" mode to "normal" mode. So the shutter speed changed from 1/2000s to 1/250s. The overexposed result is here:

  Of course I changed the setting right after this photo, but the moment was gone. After the import of the photos to the computer I did only one change to the photo. Lowered the exposure by 2 stops.



If I didn't shoot in RAW, I could still decrease the exposure, but some of the burned out details would be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment